Next: We are Scattered
The Church is a Noun, Verb and Adjective / Matthew 28:16–20
We practice our value of Next when we are able to say yes to God.
So we want to be clear about who it is we are following into Next. We are paying attention and listening to God for what He has for us.
• This value exists to keep us looking to God for what He has for us and not
• settling into our own ideas of church
• or running after something else we are taking our queues on.
• We follow Christ and move with Him as He moves.
And so we would say a disciple is a learner who follows and does what Jesus does.
A disciple learns from and lives from Jesus.
› When a disciple practices next, they either cross a border in their soul to follow Christ, a border in their relationships to follow Christ or a border in their environment to follow Christ.
We take our queues in looking to Christ. There is no one with greater authority
Matthew 28:18 ESV
And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
• What has the authority to send us and who has the authority to command us?
• Christ says He is the authority. He has all authority
• This is important. All of our lives are aimed in a certain direction and it is the things we take our queues from that determine which direction we go.
• Part of being a disciple and making disciples is defining who has authority in our lives
• Where may Christ be leading you to cross a border in your soul to follow Him, to become more healthy? Or to follow Him in your relationships? to become more healthy? Or to follow Him in your environments, to help others become healthy?
We take our queues from following Christ. There is no one more Trustworthy
Matthew 28:19–20 ESV
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
• We cross borders in our soul, relationships, and environments because we are finding our way back to Him. We trust He is taking us home
John 14:1–4 ESV
“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going.”
› When we learn to follow Christ, becoming His disciple in Welcome, Connect, Serve, Lead, Next, we know that wherever He is leading is better than where we have been.
• When we know someone who knows the way home we can cross borders in our soul, our relationships, and our environments.
• This is called the Great Commission because it is coming alongside the very thing God calls us to do.
• We are called to Next in making disciples by helping people understand the power of Christ and the love of Christ in their lives.
• What border is God calling you to cross to follow Him?
• In your soul?
• What is the next thing you may be called to do to follow Christ. Set down pride.
• In your relationships
• Who is the next person you are being called to care for as you follow Christ. Set down bitterness.
• In your environment
• Where is the next place you are being called to go to follow Christ? Set down comfort.
• Jesus said He will go with us. He will be our comfort.
• The value of Next will be filled with the stories of people saying yes to God. About people willing to do what God is telling them where God is telling them to go.